Thursday, March 27, 2008

The measuring cups

Recently married, moved to US and no glorious history of cooking - that’s my introduction!

With initial days spend on getting used to the American ‘weather’ my hidden talent of experimenting with spices and edibles started coming out. I explored ways to make delicious dishes and dreamt of bringing them to reality in my own kitchen. Thanks to the growing expanse of cyberspace, I got to read a lot about a particular preparation from number of experts giving a base for comparison and experimentation.

Though my history of cooking is not ‘glorious’ I still have some. This history include preparation of selected dishes done with utmost care and sincerity followed by special marketing during lunch time in office, in the days when I was working. The history also include a couple of cakes, baked successfully of course J .

Now, the best part about reading from recipes and following them in the kitchen is that they tell you how much of what. 1 cup of flour, ½ cup of sugar and so on. Although my mother advised me to get habitual to use measured quantities, I always did it with an estimation. Not that it did not work well, but I was never confident that I can make the dish again with the same taste!

When we came in the corporate apartment here in Atlanta, among the other items provided for kitchen, they gave a set of measuring cups. 1 cup, 2/3 cup, ½ cup, ¼ cup, 1tsp and so on. I found this very interesting. All the more, when I started reading the recipes and knew how much of what, I felt a little more powerful!

The measuring cups now give me confidence that I can bring the same taste to a dish anytime I want!

****Did you know: 3 teaspoons = 1 tablespoon****

No comments: